For the purpose of cultivating qualified International Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (CIH) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship. Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges (“host institutions”).
As a host institution, UESTC Confucius Institute Scholarship categories are: Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study, Scholarship for One-Semester Study, Four-week Chinese Language Study.
a. Non-Chinese citizenship;
b. physically and mentally healthy, and with good academic performance and conduct;
c. Committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
d. Between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of September 1st, 2020). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45.
II. SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
A. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
The program commences in September 2020, and provides scholarship for a maximum of 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in the HSK test (Level 3). Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score.
B. Scholarship for One-Semester Study
The program commences either in September 2020 or March 2021, and provides scholarship of a maximum of five months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSK test (Level 3), & HSKK test score.
C. Four Week Study
The program commences either in July 2020 or December 2020. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
III. APPLICATION DEADLINE AND RESUMPTION DATE
Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
Application deadline: June 30, 2020, resumption date: September, 2020.
Scholarship for One-Semester Study
Application deadline: June 30, 2020,resumption date: September 2020.
Application deadline: November 10, 2020, resumption date: March 2021
IV. CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2020 Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate shall log on the International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship website and submit documents to relevant host institutions upon presentation of their scholarship certificates.
For inquiry, please contact: email@example.com.
V. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
1. Online registration will be available from March 1, 2020. Applicants should please log on the International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship website (http://cis.chinese.cn), create a personal account, fill out the “Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarship”, submit the application form online and upload the scanned copy of all relevant supporting documents.
2. Applicants must log on the UESTC International Student Online Service System (admission.uestc.edu.cn), create a personal account, click on "ONLINE APPLICATION"→"Application"→"The Confucius Institute Scholarship"→"Chinese Language Student".
3. After the online application materials are reviewed by UESTC, the list of pre-admitted candidates will be submitted to the Confucius Institute Headquarters (CIH). The CIH will conduct centralized evaluation, select the best applicants, complete the scholarship evaluation and announce the results 3 months before school starts. Applicants can log on the scholarship website to view the admission process and scholarship review results.
4. After confirming the intention of studying abroad with the applicant, UESTC will send “Admission Notice”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China” (JW202 Form) and the copy of scholarship certificate to the applicant, within 15 working days.
VI. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
A. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study or Scholarship for One-Semester Study
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page. For applicants under the age of 18, their parents shall officially entrust a foreigner or Chinese residing in China to act as the guardian of the foreign student. The notarized materials of guarantee by the guardian must be submitted.
2. “Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Please log in the International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship website (http://cis.chinese.cn) and fill the form online.
3. Certification of highest academic qualification (or expected graduation certificate) and transcript of study.
4. Scanned copies of HSK and HSKK score reports. The examination time on the HSK certificate should be no earlier than December 1, 2017.
5. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment proof and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for).
6. Physical Examination Record for foreigners. The form is uniformly made by the Chinese health and quarantine department. This form is only required for applicants who will study in China for more than 6 months.
7. Application fee of CNY 420. Please pay online through your personal account on University of Electronic Science and Technology of China International Student Online Service System (http://admission.uestc.edu.cn).
★ If the above application materials are not in Chinese or English, please provide the notarized version translated to Chinese or English.
★ No paper documents are required to be sent to the UESTC.
VII. SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE, CRITERIA AND ACADEMIC ASSESSMENT
1. Scholarship Coverage:
The Confucius Institute Scholarship includes tuition, accommodation, living expenses and comprehensive medical insurance.
2. Scholarship Criteria:
a. Tuition fee: Free tuition fee.
b. Living allowance: CNY 2,500 monthly for One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study students. Living allowance will be sent on a monthly basis.
c. Accommodation fee: UESTC will provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). Those who live off campus with the permission of the university can get accommodation allowance monthly or quarterly. The standard allowance is CNY 700 per month.
d. Comprehensive medical insurance: The insurance will be uniformly purchased by UESTC. For One-Semester Study students, the insurance fee per person is CNY 400 per year. For students studying for One-Academic-Year and above, the insurance fee per person is CNY 800 per year.
1. Incomplete application materials or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials.
3. Scholarship will be cancelled for students who do not register in the school on time, who do not pass the admission physical examination, who quit school, or suspend schooling during their study.
1. School of International Education, UESTC
121 Main Building, #4 Section 2 North Jianshe Road, Chenghua District, Chengdu, China 610054
3. Confucius Institute Headquarters/ Division of Test and Scholarships
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, China
Confucius Institute Scholarship website: http://cis.chinese.cn/